AndyfromSpiny

Saturday, July 22, 2006

Shaken, not stirred!

Two weeks since the last post! Bad innit! But there are reasons!!!
1. I've torn my cartlige in my knee!!! I did it last year too and had an operation which didnt work! It's all James Bonds fault!! Stay with me here ok!!..... I was in the mood to watch a Bond film and went to my shelves to get THUNDERBALL. I bent down to get it off the bottom shelf and POP...out came the old Tibea from the cartlige. The pain of it popping out was not good, the pain of me having to put it back into place was REALLY not good!! Anyway, thats one reason. Number 2 is...We are still having an amazing heatwave here and I took some time off work to make sure my knee was better and to take advantage of the weather. I just couldnt be arsed to sit at the puter and type. So I didnt.
One week after my knee problem Spiny Norman (the band I play in) had our first gig for quite a while. We played for a company party in a place called Sully (just outside Cardiff). It wasnt really our kind of thing, but we had a bit of fun. We actually played outdoors in the glorious sunshine, which was all very nice but the sound was rubbish and I had a hangover which wasnt very proffessional and I made a few mistakes in the first few songs (like singing over Paul's solos and missing my own solos). I was not my finest moment and it wont happen again!! The punters seemed to enjoy themselves tho, and thats the main thing.
We have the biggest gig of our 10 year career next Saturday! We are playing the Welsh Boarders rock Festival!!!! Up until a few days ago I was really bricking it about this gig!! There are a lot of real heavy prog rock bands playing and I thought we would be a bit out of our league, but after seeing the final line-up I am a lot happier about it. There are a few other covers bands playing so we wont be on our own.
We will be playing a 30 min set and choosing which songs we are going to play isnt easy!! It's funny to see what each individual in Spiny sees as our strong/weak songs. Alun (Bass/singer)and myself think that Substitute (yes, the Who song) is one of our strongest songs but Delbut thinks it is weak! Now Del is a true Who perfectionist and Spiny's version is more akin to the Rammones version and so is a bit rockier and faster than the original so it's understandable that he's not 100% for doing it infront of a big crowd. So far we will be playing Rocks (Primal Scream), Hard To Handle (Black Crows), Keep Your Hands to Yourself (Georgia Satallites) and Whatever You Want/Rocking all Over The World (Status Quo). Paul, guitar/bass, is indifferent about the whole thing. He thinks we are going to get bottles of piss thrown at us anyway so he doesnt care what we play!! lol. It will all probably change a couple of times until we get the final list sorted so watch this space!
The Festival is for Charity so we're not getting paid anything. This is not good, I am skint at the moment and need all the money I can get! I have to give the Ducks in the local lake IOU's cos I cant afford bread!
I'm off into Cardiff now to do some shopping with this week's allowance, I was going to get a pet for my appartment but I dont have a good record so far of keeping pets here. I used to have a chameleon but he accidently walked across my tarten rug and died of exhaustion!
Right, time to move all my Bond movies up to the top shelf!!
See ya's later

6 Comments:

  • Andy, blowing your knee out is usually reserved for athletes, not rock stars, Go with this story instead, you see a dog standing in the road and a driver not paying attention to the road. You dart out with cheetah like quickness, grabbing the dog out of harms way but in the process nicking the edge of the car with your knee. Wincing in pain, you look up and see a stunning 28 yr. old blonde who's dog you saved. She's so grateful, she helps you back to your pad where you shag her for all she's worth . We now return to our regular programming. Good luck with the gig, Ah yes, the dreaded set list, always a debate eh? Good luck with it all.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:54 pm  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:54 pm  

  • Ahhh Ranceman,, you always see through me!! I was trying to be laid back and subdude about what really happened but you saw throught it all and saw the truth!!!It isnt the first time I've saved a few dogs!! Just ask Del! lol

    By Blogger Spiny, at 8:30 pm  

  • Rance. No-one would ever believe that one about the 28 year-old. He does live in the gayest part of Cardiff so pehaps a more, camp dancing episode would fit the injury?

    By Blogger Delbut, at 12:39 pm  

  • How about a cha cha cha chia pet? LOL

    By Blogger Fleur de Bee, at 6:58 am  

  • Hi Andy,
    Good luck with the gig! I think you guys should play Substitude, I know I'd like to hear it if I were there.

    By Blogger Metalchick, at 5:29 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home